Sports and Societies FAQ

Here are a number of your sports- and societies-related questions answered. If there’s something not here that you think should be, message your question to us using the Contact page.

Q. Can I set up a new sports club or society?

Yes! Just follow these easy steps:

1. Write a proposal
Create a one-page document that includes the name of your sports club or society, it’s aims, and if you need any funding, what you need it for. (We’ll be uploading a template for this soon, so you can easily print it off and fill it out.)

2. Recruit your first ten members
Then get ten people to put their names, CRSIDs and signatures on it to support your creation of the sports club or society and become its first members.

3. Hand it in to the HUS
Pop this into the HUS Office, and we’ll check your society’s aims don’t conflict with those of the HUS or with any other existing sports club or society.

4. Get it ratified
At the open meeting after you hand in your sports club or society proposal, it’ll be taken to a vote to ratify its existence. You’ll have to make a minute-long proposal speech and answer any questions your fellow students might have, but this is usually this is just a formality, so don’t worry!

5. Get cracking!
Your new sports club or society is now a bona fide part of the HUS. Congratulations!

Q. How are sports funded?

All college-based sports teams are run through the Griffins Society, which has its own budget within the HUS budget. The Griffins President is an executive member of the HUS, and is responsible for distributing that budget among the sports teams. The HUS contribution to each sport is calculated using a number of measures, including the cost of hiring space to play, the cost of equipment, and the amount of time team members play their sport per week. As the Griffins budget is limited, most sports can only be part-funded, and the difference must be made up by the sports team paying subs.

Q. What is a ‘blue’?

Achieving a blue means competing in university sport at the highest level, and must include competing in a Varsity match or race against the University of Oxford.

Q. I’ve got a blue. Can I get funding?

Yes, college offers funding for those who have achieved half or full blue status in the their sport. You can find out which sports are given blue status on Wikipedia. If your sport qualifies, you can collect a form for blues funding from the HUS Office, which will need to be signed by your captain and returned to the Bursar’s Office for approval.