Hi all, Francis here – just a quick note to let you know that I’ve made several updates to the President’s Page about what the HUS has been working on these past few weeks. There are substantial developments regarding fire regulations in particular, as well as several updates on other manifesto pledges. Be sure to check it out!
Merry Bridgemas one and all! I hope everyone is feeling sufficiently festive!
Just a quick reminder that on Wednesday, the HUS will be holding the first Open Meeting of the year. Please make sure you come down as we have some important issues we are going to raise at the Meeting, including issues over Homerton’s Living Wage status, the ratification of a couple of societies and the introduction of a consent workshop. The Meeting will be at 6:30 pm in the Griffin!
Hey guys, so sorry the formal hall menus have been slow to go up this week. In case anyone would like to know before they get there what they’ll be eating tonight, here it is:
Starter – Roasted Garlic & White Bean Soup
Main Course – Slow Roasted Ham Hock with Honey & Mustard Sauce
Vegetarian option – Creamy Leek & Gruyere Croustade
With Ratatouille, Mixed Bean Medley and Duchess Potato
Dessert – Banana & Toffee Pie
The rest of this term’s menus will be up by the end of the day.
Hi! I’m Issy, one of your Women’s Rights Officers this year and I work with Miranda to support and explore women’s issues that affect you. We are here to help awareness with University-wide campaigns and be your ‘go-to’ girls for any relevant issues we can help you with! We’ll be holding discussion groups and screenings soon, so keep an eye out on Facebook and on poster boards around college. Looking forward to talking to you all soon!
Hi everyone! The HUS Exec aim to be as transparent and as accountable as possible to the student body, and so I am going to start uploading the minutes of our weekly Exec Meetings as often as I can! I have now uploaded all of those from the meetings we have had so far this term, and will be adding those of the Breakfast Meeting within the next couple of weeks.
So, if you want to know what it is we are actually doing with our time, make sure you head to the Democracy page within the “Your Union” section and check them out!
Here’s a little something to brighten up your day/depress all of the grammar enthusiasts out there, too. Enjoy!
HATStands is Homerton’s termly talent show and this year it’s undergoing a thrilling enthralling all singing, all dancing revamp, but to make that happen we need you!
HATStands is scouting for talent… we’re asking you to come with a taste of your act OR If you want to be a presenter then just turn up and we’ll get you to “introduce” an act or two for us. We want: improv sketches, group drama sketches (can be devised or play extracts), dancers, singers, musicians, comedy monologues, presenters, writers – this is an opportunity to show us your writing as well as your performance- surprise us! Whatever talent you have, come and audition for an opportunity to showcase it.
Rules: only one act per person with a maximum slot of 10 mins in the actual performance. There must be a Homertonian in each group, but we welcome friends from other colleges! So, Facebook that old friend of yours at Homerton and ask them if they fancy teaming up.
Time for your regular CUSU update! This one was a long one.
A lot of the part-time exec positions are still up for grabs, so if it’s something that interests you please do get in touch!
- Green officers have a workshop this Thursday, but it’s not just for Florrie! If you’re interested in all things green, have a word with either me or Florrie
- Are you on the committee of a society? CUSU have a survey for you! Whether it’s university or college level, sport or hobby, they want to hear from as many people as possible to try and make support better for societies – fill their survey out here
- Faculty and School Board Rep elections are coming! Again, get in touch if you’re interested
- Opposing the Immigration Bill – the Immigration Bill poses a real threat to prospective international students from an access point of view. The motion resolves to send a letter opposing the Bill to Julian Huppert, encourage students to join the NUS online campaign ‘Don’t shut the door on international students‘, organise a petition to be sent to the Government and collaborate with other students’ unions – both President & VP-Ex voted in FAVOUR, the motion passed.
- Encouraging Divestment from Non-Renewable Sources – check here for information about the passed motion – both President and VP-Ex voted in FAVOUR
- Stop the Deportation of Trenton Oldfield – attempting to mandate CUSU to sign a change.org petition, circulate details of the petition, and mandate an officer to attend Oldfield’s hearing – a motion to donate £100 of the Council Free Budget to the Defend the Right to Protest Campaign was removed. President voted AGAINST, VP-Ex ABSTAINED – the motion came to ‘no decision’
As always, if you want any information get in touch! The decisions Francis & I make at Council are supposed to reflect your opinions, so get involved and tell us what you think!
Further gym inductions will be taking place today (Monday), Tuesday, and Wednesday at 5 & 5.30pm in the gym, for those who wish to be inducted. Apologies to those of you who have paid and still don’t have card access – I’m looking into it as we speak. It sounds like IT have a backlog of students they still need to update on the system. You may need to tap your card on the library entrance to get it to update.
Back in the Office from 5 – 7PM today (as well as every weekday). DON’T FORGET that both Fresher and Higher Ed MATRICULATION PHOTOS are now in for you to look at and place orders for!
And as always the shop is open and we’re here for any issues .
If anyone’s interested in being a part of CUSU, the Part Time Exec is a great place to start! This week’s CUSU Council (11th November) will be electing the main body of the Part Time Exec, so if you’re interested then take a look at this event page, give me a shout, and come get involved!